The latest go-to beauty gadget receiving a lot of attention on social media is the face roller. From influencers to A-list celebrities, face rollers, and especially rose quartz rollers, are becoming a staple in daily beauty routines. But what are they? What are the benefits they offer? Are they safe? Do they work? In our latest post, we discuss facial rollers, how to use them, and their potential benefits among other things.
What are facial rollers?
In design, these devices resemble paint rollers; however, they are significantly smaller. They are usually made from jade or rose quartz. Those made from rose quartz are known as rose quartz rollers. They are popular in the market.
Face rollers come in two design options,
- With one standard rolling end
- With two rolling ends; a standard one and a smaller rolling end.
The standard rolling end is recommended for the neck, forehead, cheeks, and jawline while the smaller rolling end is suitable for those hard to reach places like under the eyes.
Because of their popularity, different roller designs are now available to meet the growing beauty needs of the market. Brands are moving from the traditional smooth crystal rollers to niche rollers such as studded rollers. The innovative designs meet the facial massage roller demands of various facial problems.
What is face rolling?
Face rolling is simply massaging your face using the facial roller. Massaging any part of the body has numerous benefits. In this case, using a facial massage roller allows you to enjoy the benefits of facial massages. The benefits include decreasing puffiness, especially in the morning, drain excess fluid, and toning the skin face over time.
Is face rolling worth it?
Our faces are made up of numerous muscles that are responsible, in part, for how our face looks. Over time, depending on how we use these muscles, they may become tight, holding in tension, or even becoming lax if we do not use them regularly. These changes can negatively affect the way we look and also the way we feel.
Occasionally, we may need to stimulate our facial muscles by massaging them to help maintain a youthful look. Most people who massage their faces use their hands, which yields some results; however, they may not be as great as using a facial roller. You also have to be really good at giving yourself facial massages to get the results you desire. Using facial rollers to massage your face then becomes more convenient as you only need to know how to use the roller.
Keeping our facial muscles healthy is just one of the ways facial rolling is beneficial in beauty. It makes the endeavor worth every minute!
What face rolling does to your skin
By simply face rolling, your facial skin receives a lot of benefits. For example, the simple procedure can rejuvenate your face, reduce stress, and even help release tension, just like a normal body massage would. The positive effects on your face will be felt by your whole body.
These benefits include,
- Improving blood circulation in your face. According to the Tokyo Institute of Technology, using facial rollers will significantly increase blood flow to your face. The institution experimented to determine just how effective facial rolling was in the short and long-term. Results from the experiment were very encouraging, even suggesting that long-term usage of facial rollers could improve blood flow response.
- Decrease morning puffiness. After a long night’s rest, some of us wake up with puffy faces or eye bags. The puffiness is a result of poor drainage of the lymphatic system while we sleep. Because we maintain one position for a long time, the lymphatic fluid tends to accumulate in a few areas of the face. By performing a rose quartz face roller massage in the morning, we stimulate proper lymphatic drainage which gets rid of morning puffiness.
- Quickly cooling and soothing. You can get a cooling and soothing effect by storing your roller in the fridge overnight and using it in the morning. The cooling effect will also help in decreasing morning puffiness and stimulating blood flow to the face. It can also help tighten the skin pores.
- Distributing skincare products. In most cases, people apply oils and serums when face rolling. The oils and serums make it easier for the roller to glide, while the roller helps in evenly distributing the skincare products. There are suggestions that it helps in the absorption of skincare products, but this is yet to be proven.
- Relieving muscle tension, stress, and pain. Hot stones give relief from muscle tension, stress, and pain. Similarly, quartz crystals soothe the face after they are heated. The heat and rolling effect of the stone soothes and calms, relieving muscle tension on the face. This reduces any facial pain and gives a relaxing effect after rolling.
Some facial rollers are fitted with vibrating technology which adds to their relaxing effect. For example, the advanced rose quartz roller by JJ ELLIE has a vibrating mechanism that makes its use more relaxing.
By combing all these benefits, face rolling makes a case for itself as one of the best daily beauty practices. These benefits are sure to leave you with vibrant, rejuvenated skin which will maintain its youthfulness for longer.
Demystifying myths and giving facts on face rolling
There are proven benefits of using facial roller; however, the internet also has many myths and claims about the benefits of face rolling. Some of these claims are misleading, therefore affecting the public perception of facial rollers. We will highlight the myths and give the facts on face rolling.
- Using a quartz roller can improve your mood. Fact. Facial rollers have a calming effect on the mind. By relieving muscle tension and pain, rolling can help elevate your moods. This effect is magnified when you heat the rolling stones. The heat is long known to ease tension and pain.
- Face rolling helps drain toxins. Fact. This is technically true. Rolling helps to stimulate drainage of the lymphatic fluid. The lymphatic fluid contains toxins that are harmful to the body. By helping to drain the lymphatic system, face rolling helps get rid of these toxins.
- You can get a slimmer face by rolling. Myth. Facial rolling only helps with depuffing the face in the morning. It cannot get rid of any facial fat. To get a slimmer face, the right combination of nutrition and exercise is required. The myth was likely lifted from the depuffing benefit of facial rolling.
- Rolling can contour the face. Fact. Face rolling only does this temporarily. By draining the lymphatic system, rolling can help contour your face. The contours will be shaped by the direction of the roll.
- Treats acne. Myth. There is no medical reason that would justify quartz rollers preventing or treating acne.
- Encourages the production of collagen. Myth. Collagen is only produced when there is an injury on the skin. Quartz rollers will only help increase blood flow after rolling, but they will not affect the body’s natural rate of collagen production.
Most myths associated with facial rolling are just overstated claims on the healing properties of the procedure. Some myths stem from the claimed benefits of the crystals in use such as jade or rose quartz. Understanding the limitations of facial rolling is important to create the right mindset about the product and to have realistic expectations while using face massage rollers.
How to use the face roller
To get the best out of whichever facial roller you are using, there is a tried and tested procedure to follow. The steps are as follows,
- Cleanse your face. Before rolling, remove any makeup, dirt, or sweat that may have built up during the day or night.
- Apply a layer of lubrication. For example a facial oil, a serum, or a moisturizer that has a lot of slip. Having lubrication is important to allow the roller to glide effortlessly on the face. Rolling without lubrication may result in the stone pulling the skin, which can subsequently lead to the development of wrinkles.
- When rolling, start at the neck and roll upwards. Always face roll in one direction, upwards, and not up and down. This achieves the best results.
- Proceed to gently roll from the jawline to the ear.
- Roll upwards from the jaw to the cheekbone.
- Proceed to the forehead, rolling from the forehead towards the temples, maintaining an upward direction all through.
- Finally, roll flat over the eyebrows.
For each step, repeat up to 5 upward rolls for the best results. Time taken for each session should generally be less than 10 minutes. Just 5 minutes of face rolling is enough to increase blood flow in your face. As an unwritten rule, the moment face rolling starts to hurt, you should stop.
Because face rolling is a non-invasive procedure, you can face roll daily as it has no risks or side effects. In fact, some skin specialists may recommend daily face rolling to keep your skin looking healthy and youthful.
To see any changes, face roll twice or thrice weekly for at least 5 minutes per session. In a couple of weeks, you will notice the difference in your face.
Cleaning after use
After using the rose quartz roller, wipe off any excess oil or serum from the rolling session. Use a soft, clean washcloth to gently wipe off the application. Use warm water not exceeding 176°C/80°F to clean the roller. After cleaning, place the roller horizontally on a clean washcloth away from the edge of a countertop. You want the roller safe from any household hazards as falling may damage the stone or the entire roller.
Avoiding exposing your roller to extremely hot water for too long as it may affect its lifespan.
Getting the right face roller
As earlier stated, there are several types of facial massage rollers. Among the common types available in the market are jade face rollers and rose quartz face rollers. Other options in the market include,
- Metal face rollers
The rollers are not only limited to the face, but they can also be used on the skin by getting skin rollers. These use the same mineral material as facial rollers.
Getting the best facial roller depends on your skin demands. For example, facial rollers made from Jade or Metal are naturally cold, giving you a cooling effect without having to be refrigerated. Others like the rose quartz facial roller hold its temperature for longer. You can either heat or cool it and it would maintain its temperature throughout the rolling session.
You also have to consider the brittleness of the stone. The facial rollers can break when they fall from relatively high places. For example, the jade stone is softer and will easily break when it falls compared to rose quartz.
The crystal face rollers have diverse levels of smoothness. Some stones, like jade, are generally rougher than other stones such as rose quartz. The roughness increases friction when rolling which may be good for contouring.
There are claims of healing properties from other crystals such as amethyst, but these are not backed by any scientific research.
The rose quartz roller
Rose quartz is a quite a special crystal to those who believe in its healing properties. The stone is thought of as a healing crystal with the ability to remove toxic energy from the body and the soul. We addressed some of these myths in our earlier demystifying segment; nonetheless, its proven healing properties cannot be overlooked.
Used on its own, the rose quartz roller will give face roller benefits and even more. When combined with a vibrating motor, the rose quartz roller benefits increase greatly. The vibrations eases tension, encourages cell restoration, and calms any inflammation on the body.
Despite having no scientific backing, rose quartz is considered a popular healing crystal in many wellness spaces and alternative medicine centers. Further, those who regularly use the crystal consider it to have the most healing power. It therefore comes as no surprise that it is arguably the most popular stone for face rollers.
While selecting rose quartz rollers, consider their origin and quality. Generic brands may offer the rollers at a cheaper price; however, most of them may be of an inferior quality. Among the best rose quartz face rollers are those selected from the top 3% rose quartz originating from Brazil. You can get these from top brands in the beauty industry.
Avoid fake crystal rollers
The facial roller market is filled with fakes masquerading as cheap alternatives to the right crystals. Here are some of the ways to avoid buying fake crystal rollers,
- Purchase the rollers from a recognized brand. Buying from legitimate traders is one of the sure ways of avoiding fake products. For example, brands like JJ ELLIE stock some of the best rose quartz facial rollers in the market.
- Test the crystal. Some crystals have distinct characteristics that make it easier to know whether they are fakes. For example, the jade stone is naturally cold. By simply touching the stone, you can tell by touch whether the jade is original or a plastic fake.
- Examine the properties of the stone. Facial stones will have natural marbling, on the other hand, fake stones will have some air bubbles from the chemical process used to mimic real stones.
- Scratching the surface of the crystal. Most crystals will have no marks when scratched.
It is important to avoid fake products in the market as they can cause more harm than good. The fakes are usually made from cheap plastics. Subsequently, a layer of chemicals is added to make them appear like the crystals. These chemicals make fake crystals harmful to your skin. Therefore, ensure that you are getting your facial products from a trusted brand.
Do face rollers work?
The lingering question that remains is whether face rollers work. Written papers are attesting its benefits which are proof enough that facial rollers work. Aside from the papers, some who daily use the facial products give their positive testimonies on their benefits.
For example, Itsapplesworld on YouTube gives her routine and testimony on how the rose quartz face roller has helped her over a couple of months that she used it. The evidence is clear on her face. Her face appears youthful and vibrant. Her video also shows the simplicity of the entire procedure.
There are many other testimonials, even from celebrities, who praise the effects of face rollers on their facial beauty.
Cost of using face rollers
Face rollers are quite affordable. For instance, a quality rose quartz roller from reputable brand costs as little as $21. On the other hand, depending on the design or the facial package, some may cost close to $60. However, the total cost for face rolling for an entire year can still be as low as $100, including changing the roller 5 times in that year.
Quartz rollers are generally safe when used correctly. To ensure that you have the best experience when using the facial rollers,
- Follow the how-to guide on face rollers we highlighted above.
- Ensure you get your facial rollers from reputable sources.
- Do not overdo it. For example, five minutes is enough to get those much-needed benefits.
- Maintain hygienic conditions when rolling.
There are no major side effects associated with facial rolling. However, the only effect one may experience is discomfort or pain after prolonged facial rolling in one session.
Verdict on face rolling
Firstly, facial rolling is a beneficial practice that is popular in the beauty industry. It has a host of advantages ranging from improving facial blood flow to draining the lymphatic system.
Secondly, there are various facial rollers to choose from in the market, including fake ones. Always get the roller for face from trusted and reputable brands to avoid buying any fakes. The fake rollers may end up causing more harm compared to the few dollars saved.
Finally, face rolling as a daily routine is easy to maintain as it takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
In conclusion, Those with problems of puffiness in the morning or anyone who wants better face skin should have face rolling as part of their daily routine.